[Talk-GB] Quarterly Projects Update

Brian Prangle bprangle at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 09:42:01 UTC 2015

New month, new quarter, new project.

Our first attempt at a quarterly project has just finished, where fixing
road names was the target. I'm sure there was an uplift in the rate of
clearing these up and a big thank you to everyone who took part, but we
don't have any formal metrics (perhaps ITOworld might do some analysis on
comparable rates across quarters) and there's still a way to go to clear
the total number of mis-named roads. What is clear is that there's not
enough mappers on the ground to tackle something basic like this and we
don't have a scalable method for contacting existing and potential
mappers.  I guess maintaining a  map isn't as exciting as creating one!
Anyway as we proceed with quarterly projects hopefully we'll  evolve how to
solve both problems.

Our goal with quarterly projects is obviously to improve the map in a
co-ordinated way but also to try and develop the UK mapping community by
reaching out to new audiences and to re-energise existing and lapsed
mappers.

So, on to our next project: *all things delivery-related*

This could be Royal Mail postboxes (still loads to do); Royal Mail delivery
offices and sorting offices; delivery areas/gates to factories and town
centre shopping malls; maxheights and maxweights on roads; courier depots;
distribution warehouses; new internet shopping parcel lockers (see wiki
entry
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_United_Kingdom/Parcel_Lockers>);
there's a new parcel-collection service based around mainline stations
called Doddle.it; airfreight facilities; railway marshalling yards; secure
lorry parks; port/dock facilities and anything else you can think of. All
suggestions and stories welcome.

Regards

Brian