[Talk-GB] elsan_points

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Wed Apr 22 18:07:32 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 3:39 AM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>
wrote:

> Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> > What can we assume the UK tag "waterway=elsan_point" means? One or more
> > of:
> >
> >  1) Walk up toilet
> >  2) Cassette dump for boats
> >  3) Cassette dump for motorhomes
> >  4) Pump out
>
> Very firmly and unambiguously 2.
>
> > I propose making the assumption the present elsan_point tag means* #3*,
>
> Could I make the evidently-not-bleeding-obvious-enough observation that the
> "waterway=" bit is quite a good hint that it's not meant for motorhomes.

Yes, I think waterway is an excellent hint.  Thus:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/waterway%3Dsanitary_dump_station

*waterway=elsan_point *would become *waterway=sanitary_dump_station*,
nothing more.
Motorhomes need not apply.

---

Note this sanitary_dump_station scheme replaced over a dozen other tagging
styles worldwide.  It was a real mess: fragmented and tagged for the
rendering such as to be absolutely unprocessable in any rational way.
There were advocates for using UK term "Elsan" for the cleanup.
Others objected to the use of a trade name.  Thus *sanitary_dump_station*
as an attempt at a generic term with a good chance of understanding when
translated into multiple languages, and a good match to the customary terms
used locally. The scheme's wiki page is now in French, German, English and
Russian.

Elsan point is not a term with recognition outside the UK.