[Talk-GB] Labelling a greasy spoon caff

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 20:31:30 UTC 2015

> On 24/04/15 20:13, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
>> Greasy spoon truck stops (or any mobile "food truck" on a schedule)
>> could be:
>>
>>  transient:amenity=restaurant
>>  cuisine=greasy_spoon;british
>>  operating_hours=Sa 16:00-20:00
>>  name=Greasy Spooning Cafe
>>  website=http://foodtrucksrus.net/o=92
>>
>> So it won't render confusingly with permanently located features.
>
> Mobile catering is NOT the sort of greasy_spoon we are talking about.
> These are sit down cafes serving mainly a full English greasy breakfast.

Yep, my question was not about transient/mobile catering - but then I
think Bryce was just responding to Jerry on that point, I don't think
he was misunderstanding.

It's about a specific style of cuisine / eatery, and actually most of
the ones I've been to in my life haven't been on transport routes,
just sit-down cafes in non-posh parts of town. The one I was in this
morning was a caff in mid-London, full of building workers ordering
extremely large fried breakfasts.

I'm not keen on cuisine=breakfast because (a) it's not just any
breakfast, it's a very specific type of breakfast; (b) these places
usually serve lunch as well, and maybe even tea! I guess I might end
up going with cuisine=greasy_spoon - but since there were only 4 uses
so far, I suspected there was something I was missing. Also it felt a
bit too colloquial, but then it's pretty much the only word I have for
that style of cuisine.

Best
Dan