[Talk-GB] Labelling a greasy spoon caff

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Apr 25 08:38:10 UTC 2015

On 25/04/15 08:35, Ed Loach wrote:
> "Especially in the UK where everyone would know exactly what is meant by
> that term."
>
> To be fair I'm not exactly sure. I think of most cafes as what has been
> described as greasy spoons (selling fried breakfasts at any time of the
> day), and think it more a case of needing a different tag for tea rooms
> that don't. Or do greasy spoons have a lower level of cleanliness?

In the past 'cleanliness' may have been an element, and some of the
sites where that was a food safety problem, they have probably been
closed down, but these days truck stops that and market 'eateries' that
don't object to customers in mucky overalls and the like ... the sort of
clientèle that would probably not be welcome in cotswold tea room :)

It's probably a dying standard with most places now becoming more
'family friendly', 'cleaner' and customers not rolling up in overalls
these days?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL