[Talk-GB] Wiki deprecation of an in-use feature

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Apr 25 19:28:58 UTC 2015

On 25/04/15 19:38, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> Note: Nobody's forced to use the tag.  I encourage people to make
> positive proposals to move
> tagging forward, not engage in the armchair sport of shouting down
> proposals.  Say
> "here's another solution to consider" rather than "no".

Bryce ... you still have to make the case for 'special cases'. There is
no reason to have two tags for many of these amenities. Trying to later
tag a waterway=water_point that can also be used by land vehicles starts
making things messy. Land point and water accessible points may have
restrictions on their access, but there is no reason to duplicate tags
and then add exceptions to those tags. Lets get a TAG that works across
the board, and manage the access restrictions properly. Exactly the same
applies to disposal points, recycling points and all of the other
amenities which may or may not only be permited use by boats or other
vehicles.

waterway=water_point is the only such maenity listed on the waterway tag
page, and it simply does not fit the rest of the waterway infrastructure.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL