[Talk-GB] elsan_points

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Thu Apr 30 21:49:20 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 3:05 PM, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:

> tag -> disposal_point
>
> Values
> pump_out:grey         (No sewage)
> pump_out:black        (Contains Sewage)
> pump_out:bilge        (May contain oil)
> pump_out:restricted   (note advise restrictions)
> dump:black            (may have restrictions?)
> chemical:contained    (cartridge style disposal)
> chemical:clean_down    ('wet' disposal with clean down facility)
> chemical:gel_only     (may be other restrictions depending on country?)
>
> Access
> clients_only          (marina or campsite or leisure facility clients)
> public_free           (council provided facility?)
> public_fee:rates      (see debate in Oz about lack of public
>                        facilities even if they paid for access)
> LOCATION should show if it's private access to boats or other vehicles
> Payment methods or private access also expand the data.

Ok, so if understand, in that proposal a UK canal "waterway=elsan_point"
might be re-tagged like:

*disposal_point=yes*

*chemical:contained=yeschemical:clean_down=yes*

*chemical:gel_only=no*
*chemical:restrictions=uses a septic field, and only biodegradable tank
chemicals are allowed.*

*access=*public_fee:rates

*boat=yes*
*motorhome=no*

Perhaps next to a:

*water_point=yes*
*access=public_free*

*boat=yes*
*motorhome=no*

Where the boat=yes motorhome=no tag could exist on an enclosing way such as
a Marina.

I see the issue as centered on complexity, mapper behavior, and
rendering/searching behavior.
The system depends on two types of access : legal permission and physical
access.  A marine
site may only be accessible to boat, or free and public but only welcome
marine users.  That subtlety will likely
be lost in rendering or gps searching, leading people to an inappropriate
facility.  The reality is that
top level tags are what controls most searching and rendering.

The tags boat=yes and motorhome=no are not universally processed by
rendering.  Thus most
of the time the feature will show up undifferentiated.

*OpenSeaMap* has chosen to use it's own tags in part to avoid motorhome
features showing up
on Mariner's map.  This allows ready and reliable creation of a mariner's
map (or in this case a UK
waterway map).  The cost of a new high level tag seems small compared to
the benefits.  The toilet
stations I map will be with something simpler.