[Talk-GB] What was the outcome of the discussion about C class roads with ref tags?

SomeoneElse lists at atownsend.org.uk
Mon May 4 08:34:37 UTC 2015

On 04/05/2015 08:35, Graham Jones wrote:

> I don't know where the discussion got to, but thought I should point
> out that at least one road in North Yorkshire is a C road that is
> signposted as such.
> The road here does have signs with the C designation.
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/54.5696/-1.0016
> I don't think I added it so at least one other person must agree!

The concensus I think is that if a road has had a "C" number added
purely as a bookkeeping reference by the council, but doesn't appear on
any signage, then a tag such as "official_ref" or "admin_ref" makes more
sense.  See previous discussions here:

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2013-April/thread.html#14788

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2014-August/thread.html#16392

(and others linked from those threads).

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org.uk/search?q=ref

suggests more traction for "official_ref" over "admin_ref".

However yours looks more interesting than the usual OSM "C" road:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/25020986/history

It looks like it was previously a B road (OOC maps suggest the B1268)
and kept its number when it was downgraded.  If it's a real ref on a
real road sign I don't think that anyone would disagree with it being
tagged with a C road ref.

I've seen at least one other signposted one in North Yorkshire (north of
Castle Howard somewhere - I suspect there are more) so it's not unique.

Cheers,

Andy