[Talk-GB] What was the outcome of the discussion about C class roads with ref tags?

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Mon May 4 11:45:47 UTC 2015

Well, the C refs are "are cluttering up the map of my home area" (&
others, by the sound of it). I recently used a screen grab of the area
in my OP. I got more replies about the displaying of the C refs than
what I was actually trying to describe - It just confused people.

It's not removing the data just reassigning it to a more appropriate
tag. A render displaying them can still be created. As I said, if
they're just used for authorities internally, then I don't see their
relevance on the 'standard' map.

Dave F.

On 04/05/2015 11:10, Steve Doerr wrote:
> I once saw some friends on Facebook discussing the state of a road
> local to them in Dorset, and they referred to it by its C number
> throughout. Personally, I quite like the fact that our map has C
> numbers on where other maps don't. What I don't like, though, is
> seeing U numbers for unclassified roads, which are cluttering up the
> map of my home area
> (http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/51.42292/0.34775).
>
> Steve
>
> On 04/05/2015 08:35, Graham Jones wrote:
>>
>> I don't know where the discussion got to, but thought I should point
>> out that at least one road in North Yorkshire is a C road that is
>> signposted as such.
>> The road here does have signs with the C designation.
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/54.5696/-1.0016
>> I don't think I added it so at least one other person must agree!
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Graham
>>
>> from my Phone (hence dodgy spelling!)
>>
>> On 4 May 2015 01:20, "Dave F." <davefox at madasafish.com
>> <mailto:davefox at madasafish.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi
>>
>>     I seem to remember there was general consensus that C class roads
>>     shouldn't have their reference number in the ref tag as they
>>     aren't really for public use, such as on signs or maps, but the
>>     official use of local councils etc.
>>
>>     It was suggested, therefore, to swap them to a tag like off_ref,
>>     or some such similar. Was this agreed upon?
>>
>>     If there is consensus I personally think this would be a valid
>>     use of a mass edit due to the large number
>>     http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/98Y Does anyone have experience of
>>     doing such a auto edit?
>>
>>     Cheers
>>     Dave F.