[Talk-GB] too many universities in Cambridge

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun May 24 10:31:46 UTC 2015

On 23/05/15 16:36, David Earl wrote:
> As I said, I think the upward compatible change for this is to use a tag
> with the unique ID of whatever operator (and I think URL would be a good
> one, not as a link, but an ID, since two people can't have the same one,
> and all orgs we'd be interested in would have one). That way operator
> remains the human-friendly item it already is.

While not popular, the addition of identifiers IS now gaining traction,
especially where the underlying data relates to imports from other
places. Personally I would see no conflict if contributions such as the
the UofC material had it's own 'facilities' reference which then allows
all of the estates management data to be linked to the map. The lookup
that the reference accesses could be direct to the relevant collage and
department on the UofC website, but additionally when logged in it would
go to private data.

OSM does not need to duplicate all of the publically available data, but
an agreed standard for accessing secondary levels is still lacking?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL