[Talk-GB] New Map Style feedback

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Sun Nov 1 18:38:24 UTC 2015

On 01/11/2015 17:26, Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 01/11/15 17:09, Amaroussi (OpenStreetMap) wrote:
>
>> The ability for OSM to render the “British” colours alongside the new
>> style colours would depend on what resources they have, but I will
>> support adding an alternative layer to the main site that uses the
>> “British” colours, as soon as the alternative tile server goes live:
>> it is clear that there is no clear standard for how roads are
>> coloured. I will suggest however that the “British” stylesheet be
>> based from the main openstreetmap-carto style, in order to ease
>> maintenance.
>
> Why do you think a British style should get special treatment I wonder?

In this particular case, simply because it's the previous default, and
therefore what a lot of users are already familiar with. But I don't
think it has to have any special privileges in the long run.

> Should we have a French style and a US style and a Chinese style and...

Yes, if there is both user demand and developer support.

> I mean how exactly do you propose to decide which national styles should
> get special treatment?

I think that every country with an OSM developer community large enough
to generate their own style should be able to have that style as their
local default, either via their local ccTLD (eg, openstreetmap.fr,
openstreetmap.uk) or as a user-configurable (via a cookie setting)
default on openstreetmap.org.

Mark