[Talk-GB] PIE Mapping (Was: User dataone: "splitting into 2 way to tag restriction ")

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 23:35:12 UTC 2015

On 23/10/2015 00:08, Rob Nickerson wrote:

> >Phil (trigpoint) wrote:
> >
> >In http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/34325458 comments Zain Ahmad
> >Hashmi mentions PIE mapping, which is is for commercial truck routing.
> >

> Hi all,
>
> PIE mapping were at the London OSM mobile themed dev hack weekend at
> Geovation's office a few months ago. In fact they were an sponsor. I
> remember speaking with one of them about OSM. We talked about how to
> map turn restrictions and I gave some suggestions over how to engage
> with the community. I'm not 100% sure as the details are sketchy but I
> think they may have legit survey data. Harry Wood, Matt or Andy Allan
> may be able to put you in contact with the employee who sorted the
> sponsorship should you need to contact them but lets focus on helping
> them not bombarding them with "PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU ARE DOING OR
> STOP NOW" type questions (apologies for caps).

Indeed - the first thing that I said to one of their mappers was a
"hello and welcome" on https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/34040216
- just trying to find out what their goal was so that (in this case)
they didn't think they'd added a restriction of some sort to a road in
OSM when they hadn't.

Whether they're paid mappers for a commercial company or not makes no
difference to me (other than that OSM data being used commercially is
great - it's there to be used after all!), but it doesn't excuse them
from having to work together with the rest of the OSM community in the
same way that we all do, replying to comments on changesets, fixing
obvious errors they've introduced (such as roads with
semicolon-separated names) etc.  Introducing themselves here on talk-gb
would be a good start.

In this case they seem to be doing a substantial "manual import" using
data the source of which isn't yet known.  It might be survey-based or
otherwise be entirely appropriately licensed, but we don't know that yet
(despite having asked several times).

Cheers,

Andy