[Talk-GB] Does "Great Britain" need a relation with "place=island" on it?

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Thu Aug 18 13:47:04 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-18 13:51, Andy Townsend wrote:
> This was prompted by a comment directed at me on
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/37713755 , after I'd mentioned a
> problem raised on the help site that might be related
> https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/49058/rendering-of-lakes-on-garmin-devices
> .
>
> Given that it seems impossible to manage effectively* I wouldn't object
> to it being deleted (but don't have a particularly strong view either
> way).  If it's not deleted, does someone need to add all GB lakes and
> rivers as inners?
>
> What does everyone else think?

I think its a good idea to map islands as areas, where possible. It
makes it possible to figure out what is on that island, so could be used
for geocoding etc. Plus you can calculate the size of the island, which
could be useful for rendering.

I don't think lakes and rivers should be inners, because they are still
part of the island, so should be counted as part of the area. ie they
are 'on top' of the island, not 'holes' within it.

Though yes, managing huge relations is a problem. They will inevitably
get broken at some point, so would be a lot of work to maintain. Maybe
it could be split into smaller sections?

The Garmin maps is another question. They seem to label the whole area
with the island name, which is often unhelpful and confusing, even for
smaller islands. Probably better just to have a label in the middle of
the island, or on the coast.

Craig