[Talk-GB] HS2 phase 2a preferred route

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 22:15:45 UTC 2016

On 29/11/2016 19:19, Andy Robinson wrote:
> As it happens the Phase 2b shape files are available. Just rather buried
> under an obscure filename.
>
> I'll post again once I've made the route updates for 2b (Manchester & Leeds)

Which routes do the 2b updates have for north and south of Sheffield?
North of Sheffield I suspect things are fairly nailed down; south of
Sheffield not so much - there's a broad-brush recommendation in
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hs2-phase-2b-summary-of-route-refinements
, but I've not seen detailed plans of that yet and the "consultation" is
open until next year (though the previous "options report"
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hs2-sheffield-and-south-yorkshire-report-2016
gave a pretty clear steer towards one option - but again, no detailed
route plan yet).

In answer to Dave and Dan - I'd be the first person to say "don't map
stuff that doesn't exist yet and may not exist", but in the case of a
lot of the HS2 route it is (a) very likely to happen and (b) quite clear
where it will happen.  However where plans have been overtaken by
politics and where (a) and (b) are not necessarily the case I don't
think it does make sense to have it in OSM.

Cheers,

Andy (a different one)