[Talk-GB] GB Coastline - PGS vs OS

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 11 22:17:44 UTC 2016

Hi David,

Looking at the spot you indicate on Bing imagery does indeed look like
MHW should be above the salt-marsh areas. Looking at Google[1] it is
however possible that the grass doesn't quite get submerged, even at the
highest tides, so it might also be possible that it is strictly correct.

The Bing imagery is of course just a snapshot, and we don't know the
state of the tide at the moment the photo was taken, so it can also be
misleading. Even a personal visit is not really enough as MHW is
apparently calculated over a 19-year cycle (not sure if OS use this
though) and things could change a lot in that time. As MHW is an
average, many tides will of course be higher.

The OS data looks a definite improvement for steeper coastlines, where
combining OS admin boundaries with PGS coastlines produces many
anomalies (admin boundary=MLW inland of coastline=MHW). I would
definitely suggest applying the OS MHW data to address this kind of
issue. But I agree, use of the OS data would need case-by-case
judgements. However I still think the OS data is probably a better base
to work from than (unimproved) PGS for reasons I mentioned earlier.

Could you give a couple of examples of problems you saw in the IoW?

//colin

[1]
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5386032,0.6292606,3a,24.7y,277.12h,84.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMl8cwBlLLuOVtPES_DfkOQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656