[Talk-GB] Quarterly Projects: further suggestions

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 12:42:40 UTC 2016

Dear All,

A few additional suggestions, largely concerned with accessibility issues:

   - *Step Counts*. Partly inspired by Richard Fairhurst,
   <https://twitter.com/richardf/status/803701578528124929> but also by my
   own needs. For many of us (parents, people with COPD (e.g., me, but I know
   other OSM contributors too) , older people, etc., etc.) steps are OK in
   small quantities, but beyond a certain number .which will vary with the
   person (and what they are carrying). it may well be desirable to avoid
   them.

   Current numbers of steps by region are as follows:

   East Midlands:  593 with steps 3429 without
   West Midlands: 51 with steps 1400 without
   Wales: 145 with steps 1672 without
   Scotland: 662 with steps 5373 without
   Northern Ireland: 9 with steps 263 without
   East of England: 1132 with steps 2741 without
   South-East England: 553 with steps 5072 without
   South-West England: 319 with steps 4730 without
   North-West England: 107 with steps 3191 without
   North-East England: 211 with steps 1287 without
   Yorkshire and the Humber: 262 with steps 2680 without
   Greater London: 252 with 4286 without

   I'm pretty sure we are missing masses of steps: we have mapped over 1000
   in Nottingham City alone. However, finding them is another matter. So
   adding info to those already done is easier. Like many objects just a visit
   may elicit other things to map. This brings me to the next suggestion.

   - *Railway & Bus stations*. There are now excellent precedents for
   mapping public transport interchanges in a lot of detail (e.g., work done
   by the OpenRailwayMap team in Germany & the Transilien
   <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_France/Transilien#Gares>.
   In general the focus should be in adding information which helps with
   access. Adding this type of detail may provide opportunities to engage with
   facility owners & promoting open data strategies for improving information
   about access for people with restricted mobility. Additionally these
   provide a special domain for mappers to learn about Simple 3D buildings &
   indoor tagging.

   - *Disabled Parking Spaces*. I find the current method (
   amenity=parking_space
   <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dparking_space>,
   disabled=yes) not entirely satisfactory, but this is what currently exists.
   Also capacity tags can be used, but don't show where disabled spaces are
   located in larger facilities. There may be some open data on this for some
   cities (e.g., Nottingham
   <http://www.opendatanottingham.org.uk/dataset.aspx?id=25>. Most spaces
   will be in town/city centres and public & customer car parks.

Of course these could be lumped together as a general "access for
restricted mobility" quarterly project, but I think the area is so large
that it's better to focus on smaller targets.

Regards,

Jerry