[Talk-GB] Local Authority rights of way information

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 21 11:47:46 UTC 2016

http://www.rowmaps.com/datasets/EY/ contains the following text:

"The council of East Riding of Yorkshire have provided me with an ESRI
shape file [1] that contains the details of their public rights of way.
The ESRI shape file seems to have been created on 27th February 2014.
The Council also provides information about public rights of way on its
online map [2]. It may be that their map uses more up-to-date
information.

"An authority's Definitive Map is the authoritative source of their
rights of way. The details of the public rights of way network contained
in an authority's data are for information only, and are an
interpretation of the Definitive Map, not the Definitive Map itself, and
should not be relied on for determining the position or alignment of any
public right of way. For legal purposes, an authority's data does not
replace their Definitive Map. And changes may have been made to the
Definitive Map that are not included in their data. The authority's data
contains Ordnance Survey data (c) Crown copyright and database right
2013. Attempting to view this data with more detail than 1:10000 may
produce an inaccurate rendering of the route of a public right of way.

"The ESRI shape file was made available by the council of East Riding of
Yorkshire under terms equivalent to the Ordnance Survey OpenData
Licence. When I e-mailed the Ordnance Survey about the councils that
had, during the last few years, successfully obtained an exemption from
the Public Sector Mapping Agreement and released their data under terms
equivalent to the Ordnance Survey OpenData Licence, they replied _All
data exempted by Ordnance Survey is now covered by the Open Government
Licence (OGL), which superseded its own OS OpenData licence in April
2015._So it's possible for you to use this data provided you say that it
is public sector information released by the council of East Riding of
Yorkshire under the Open Government Licence [3]."

On 2016-12-21 12:32, Dave F wrote:

> Interesting. Under what license to you believe East Riding issued the data that ROWmaps is using?
>
> DaveF.
>
> On 21/12/2016 11:17, Chris Hill wrote: Row maps is definitely not based on OGL data. It includes E Yorks and Hull data that both councils have explicitly refused to release as OGL.
>
> I have asked Barry for his sources and there has been a stoney silence. If anyone has used rowmaps as a source for OSM edits I would revert that edit.
>
> Chris Hill
> (User chillly)
>
> On 21 Dec 2016, at 11:10, Dave F <davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> On 21/12/2016 11:04, David Woolley wrote:
> A more complete answer is "probably not", as it is unlikely that many definitive maps are provided under such a licence.  If they are, they will almost certainly be online.
>
> It is also unlikely that anyone providing physical access to the map will know the copyright status.
> Could you expand on your claims please.
>
> Why do you believe the data on http://www.rowmaps.com/ isn't OGL & the distributor wouldn't know?
>
> DaveF
>
> ---