[Talk-GB] Ideas for quarterly projects

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Fri Dec 30 12:41:44 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-12-29 at 19:17 +0000, SK53 wrote:ertainly round Nottingham
many Notes persist because they remain relevant.

> In Tendring poleclimber adds notes from planning applications. New
> notes tend to get looked at by someone present on the osm-gb IRC
> channel within a short time of them appearing and spurious ones get
> closed.
>
> We get plenty of notes via MapBox which are in areas where we don'
> t have mappers and therefore it is not possible to close them without
> a specific survey.
>
> I worry that a focus on clearing Notes & Fixmes would end up in the
> removal of useful information. So I'm not in favour of this for a
> quarterly project.
>
> I would also add that Andy (SomeoneElse) has created a very simple to
> use way of grabbing a set of notes or fixmes and creating a GPX file
> which can be loaded into a GPS or smartphone for mapping on the move.

I'm with Jerry on this, new notes are notified to the #osm-gb channel
and we are pretty good at clearing up the rubbish as it is created so
what remains is mostly stuff that needs surveying and will be in areas
where we don't have mappers or mappers don't visit often. These should
not be simply closed.
OSMand displays notes, so when travelling it is useful to be able to
see and maybe change route a bit to survey notes, I would certainly
encourage this. But to make this a task would be wrong.
Phil (trigpoint)