[Talk-GB] UKOSM or OSMUK or OSMGB proposed aims

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sun Jan 3 18:10:02 UTC 2016

On 03/01/16 16:45, Brian Prangle wrote:
> Proposed aims for UKOSM:

> The aims of (eventual name) are:
>
> To increase the number of data contributors;develop their skills and
> keep their motivation so that new contributors become active mappers to
> improve and maintain OpenStreetMap data in the UK.
>
> To provide a national point of contact for UK organisations wishing to
> use OSM data or contribute data to OSM.
>
> To engage in  activities and provide  services that are consistent with
> achieving these aims.

I know that there was a varying opinion during the conference call as to
'what area was covered', and that the likes of the Falkland Isles was
perhaps thrown in slightly tongue in cheek, but the simple answer is
that we are all talking about 'British' mapping interests, so 'British
OSM Foundation' makes perfect sense since it can support all those
British interests world wide, and is comfortable with supporting
Northern Ireland's interests in the same as areas such as Gibraltar,
Falkland Islands or other overseas interests.

This then provides a 'cultural' point of contact rather than a
'national' one, and does not exclude ex-pat Brits and other British
interests around the world?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL