[Talk-GB] UKOSM or OSMUK or OSMGB proposed aims

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 20:31:57 UTC 2016

On 3 January 2016 at 16:45, Brian Prangle <bprangle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Proposed aims for UKOSM:
>
> The aims of (eventual name) are:
>
> To increase the number of data contributors;develop their skills and keep
> their motivation so that new contributors become active mappers to improve
> and maintain OpenStreetMap data in the UK.
>
> To provide a national point of contact for UK organisations wishing to use
> OSM data or contribute data to OSM.
>
> To engage in  activities and provide  services that are consistent with
> achieving these aims.

I think those are all good. From a personal point of view (and to
allow more flexibility if we want to) I'd also like to see:

* Something more explicit to allow the group to create / support /
encourage the use of tools to improve OpenStreetMap data in the UK.
(The first point above could be read as just focusing on the mappers,
rather than the wider aim of improving the data by any other means.)

* Something more explicit about promoting / encouraging / helping
facilitate the use and contribution of data from/to OSM. (The second
point above only talks about being a point of contact, and not
actually acting to encourage these activities.)

I'm not saying that the group should necessarily focus a lot of
resources on either of these additional areas, but it might be better
to be more general from the outset to cover ourselves in case any
activities stray into these areas. Depending on what form the
organisation takes, we may be more or less constrained to keep within
our stated aims -- particularly if it comes to anything that could be
seen as speaking in favour of compatible OpenData in the political
arena.

Best wishes,

Robert.

--