[Talk-GB] Review plan for adding 1, 164 wikidata tags in the West Midlands

Steve Doerr doerr.stephen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 17:17:12 UTC 2016

On 17/01/2016 12:55, Lester Caine wrote:
> On 17/01/16 11:08, Edward Betts wrote:
>> This is the list of Wikidata tags that I actually plan to add:
>>
>> https://edwardbetts.com/osm-wikidata/west_midlands/matches_2016-01-16.txt
> Please remove the School list from this. We are currently adding the
> edubase references to each of these, and this will replace the need for
> an additional wikidata tag. Better to just have the one primary reference.

-1

Leaving aside any arguments over whether we should have Wikidata links
at all, it seems a bit ludicrous to exempt one specific category of
objects in one specific country simply because that country has its own
local referencing system for that kind of object. If anything, Wikidata
should take precedence as it is worldwide and not confined to a single
category of objects. Having both references could provide the
opportunity for cross-validation in the future, if EDUBASE numbers are
added to Wikidata (or vice versa).

--
Steve

---