[Talk-GB] The Park, Nottingham

Stuart Reynolds stuart at travelinesoutheast.org.uk
Thu Jan 28 13:34:20 UTC 2016

Hi all, and especially Nottingham mappers.

There is an area of Nottingham called The Park that is a private estate. At present, all of the roads on the estate are tagged as access=destination. However, my client at Nottingham City Council informs me that “there is definitely pedestrian access through The Park” [my italics], while another colleague tells me that “having lived for many years on a gated private road, my interpretation of the signs [viewable on Streetview] is that the road and vehicular access is private, but there is an unimpeded pedestrian right of way in this example in Notts (as there was where I lived in the past)”.

Based on this, I propose to remove the access=destination tag from the roads on the estate, and replace it with a vehicle=destination tag. That should allow walking, while still having the desired effect of only allowing vehicular access if you are actually going there.

This corresponds to the guidance at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access where it says that destination means

Only when travelling to this element/area, i.e. local traffic only. NOTE: This restriction often only applies to certain modes of transportation (e.g. only to vehicles). Take care to use the right transport mode restriction, e.g. vehicle<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:vehicle>=destination<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:vehicle%3Ddestination> when only vehicle traffic is restricted.

Regards,
Stuart

Stuart Reynolds
for traveline south east & anglia