[Talk-GB] This evening: Night school - Status report

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 10:56:56 UTC 2016

On 02/03/16 09:35, Ed Loach wrote:
> Is it possible we can add something to the wiki page about an agreed way
> to tag multiple schools on a single site, or schools with multiple
> sites. I think earlier discussions here suggested:
>
> For a site with multiple schools (grounds shared, separate buildings)
> tag the grounds as amenity=school, and the name, edubase ref and address
> details for each school on the relevant building.
>
> e.g. http://osm.org/go/0EHYuEeGJ--?m=
> http://osm.org/go/0EHS4rvGk--?m=

That is the pattern I switched to.
Roberts tool just lists the grounds element as a non-existant school
object but I think that is OK.

> For a school with multiple sites, use a site relation, with each site
> being tagged amenity=school with the relevant address on each, and the
> edubase ref on the main site. I’m less sure about this one and have no
> examples.

This is the bit I still need to tidy up ...
South Worcestershire College is on two sites and currently being listed
twice.
But http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5902498 is only part of the
answer for Heart of Worcestershire College since - for example - the
various buildings in Worcester are not easily identified as part of the
college. Should I complicate the relation more, or simply tag each
building as 'Worcester Campus, Heart of Worcester College'. PERSONALLY I
would prefer to have a 'place' node for each campus, add all the
elements in a relation to that, and simply have a relation 'node' of all
the campuses.
Warwickshire College Group needs the same treatment since currently my
'Pershore College' entry is being matched to the main campus on the 'CV'
page of progress :)

> I also don’t have an example for multiple schools in a single building.
> If they were separate entrances I’d probably put the differing details
> on the entrance nodes, but as I’ve not encountered this I’m not sure
> whether it happens anywhere. Nor if they share an entrance how that
> would be tagged.

I've not had that problem either yet ...

> Robert’s excellent progress tracking tool also shows adult education
> centres where I have been unable to find an edubase reference, e.g.
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/203713626
> Should they have edubase references? If so how would I find them?

The short answer is 'No' ... these are outside the 'education system'
but are still colleges. Have the same problem with
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/118736391 which IS a college but
obviously not a school system one.
( Must update the campus there .. I see someone extended the housing
estate to the left which I started some time back, but that area of the
college has been sold for housing )

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL