[Talk-GB] Pebble Core for mapping?

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Wed May 25 12:14:21 UTC 2016

Steven,
I tried "audio mapping" many years ago. I didn't find the workflow
comfortable, but I believe the tools have improved since then. See
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Audio_mapping for lots of thoughts and
onward links.

Jez,
GPS tracks were helpful in the early/dragon-filled years of OSM but I don't
think they are as relevant. We have sources like aerial imagery, OS open
data, and our own existing data. E.g. I don't need a GPS trace to map a new
street halfway down an existing street in town or to map that there is a
telephone box at the intersection of two roads. Of course lots of GPS can
be used to find missing roads, or improve accuracy, but you need context.
Is it a new tarmaced road, or do all cyclists cross a muddy field? See
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Strava for data availble.

Mapillary has more potential. One person can collect lots of GPS
information, with contextual information(the photos), and a second person
(who is limited in how far they can go outside, or prefer to sit and edit
OSM than survey) can use this information.
Of course the second person still needs to be cautious if their local
knowledge is limited.
I tried to find a specific/suitable use case: mapping highstreet shops
(lots of detail, I like whizzing past them but don't like data-entry). It's
been almost 2 years, and just this week I got a message that someone had
tried to step up to the challenge. The success from my Mapillary photos was
limited, but they were also able to use Steven's Mapillary photos too!
http://www.livingwithdragons.com/2014/09/maps-now-with-added-photos

On 25 May 2016 at 08:59, Jez Nicholson <jez.nicholson at gmail.com> wrote:

> A low-cost easy to use GPS tracker has potential for increasing the volume
> of gps track uploading. Plenty of people happily upload tracks to Strava so
> I wonder what needs doing to get similar donations to OSM....perhaps an
> open exercise app that also donates to OSM at the same time?
>
> As to devices, I'm thinking about the Garmin Virb GPS action camera for
> collecting Mapillary photos and OSM info.
>
> On Tue, 24 May 2016 22:13 Steven Horner, <steven at stevenhorner.com> wrote:
>
>> Maybe not quite the correct place but thought other OSM mappers may have
>> similar thoughts?
>>
>> The new Pebble Core looks like it could be useful for surveying. It has
>> GPS, voice input as well as Bluetooth and an API. It could be useful for
>> recording voice notes with GPS coordinates if the API allows. It does have
>> a sim card slot but think that's of less interest. Anyone else see the
>> potential?

Gregory
osm at livingwithdragons.com
http://www.livingwithdragons.com