[Talk-GB] UK suburbs

Jez Nicholson jez.nicholson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 19:51:13 UTC 2016

Thank you chaps.

Colin: I said 'technically' because I saw the address in lots of web
searches without the Rottingdean and believed that Royal Mail weren't going
to specify it...looks like I was wrong. The Lloyds Pharmacy website uses
Rottingdean, Brighton.

Lester: I'm glad that it wasn't actually a stupid question.

Jerry: Absolutely. I'm only keen on using it in this address to
disambiguate "West Street, Rottingdean, Brighton" from "West Street,
Brighton" which has lots of tacky nightclubs on in the centre of Brighton.
As a local, it looks really weird without the Rottingdean bit.

I grew up in Chalfont St Peter, which I think was in the Domesday Book, and
we were horrified when Royal Mail tried to force us to change our addresses
to be the nearby main postal town Gerrards Cross which is a 'newcomer'
railway town from 1859. We always use "Chalfont St Peter, Gerrards Cross"
in addresses.

- Jez