[Talk-GB] Rare postboxes no longer so rare?

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Sat Sep 3 14:10:47 UTC 2016

On 2016-09-03 08:42, Steve Doerr wrote:
> On 03/09/2016 00:23, Rob Nickerson wrote:
>>
>> I thought these postboxes were supposed to be really rare. Seems like
>> loads have been added this year:
>
> There are supposed to be about 130 of them(*), of which OSM has 140.
>
> (*) http://inamidst.com/topic/edwardboxes

There does seem to be some mixed reports of how many are left. Probably
depends on just what you are counting, ie just pillar boxes, or wall
boxes as well, and do you count boxes no longer in use, or in private
collections, or in other countries etc.
Apparently some had the doors replaced, with a different cypher.

This report from Royal Mail says:
http://www.royalmailgroup.com/sites/default/files/Royal%20Mail%20Post%20Boxes%20Heritage%20Agreement.pdf
"The Letter Box Study Group has identified 171 boxes surviving from the
short 1936 reign of Edward VIII."
The Letter Box Study Group probably have a list, but only available to
paying members.

Currently 141 mapped in OSM. Of those, 138 are tagged as pillar, and 3 wall.
And no disused EVIIIR postboxes mapped yet?

Craig