[Talk-GB] Possible use of OS triangulation stations to determine aerial imagery offset

Greg gregrs at fastmail.co.uk
Sun Sep 4 20:31:37 UTC 2016

Hi Dave F,

I haven’t thought too much about the process at this stage, but I was imagining it would be done mostly programatically as there are 21,000+ (non-destroyed) stations.

However, I was anticipating that there would have to be at least some manual intervention to decide whether OS trig stations near OSM ‘survey_point’s are the same thing and merge the tags. I’m sure some sort of filtering of near-certain, possible and unlikely matches between OS trig stations and OSM survey_points will help, but I’m not convinced that setting a hard limit (e.g. OSM ‘survey_point’s within 5m of an OS trig station must represent that station) will work entirely.

If someone created a single CSV of all the triangulation stations *including flush bracket numbers*, perhaps using the data from [https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/gps/legacy-control-information/triangulation-stations] (which I asked OS about [http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Gregrs/Ordnance_Survey_triangulation_stations/Licence_emails]) the flush bracket numbers could also be checked against any existing OSM ‘ref’s.

Thanks,
Greg.