[Talk-GB] Users tagging Farmyard as place=farm (Was Summer quarterly project)

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 12:58:46 UTC 2016

On 13/09/2016 13:29, Dave F wrote:

> There's been an increase (world wide) in the use of place=farm.
> The reason for the increase could be it being displayed in the OSM
> carto rendering
> Just one example: http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4364588497
>
> I believe many, if not all, are misinterpretations & should be
> landuse=farmyard.

I'd agree with that.

> The wiki http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Farm says "a place named
> by a name of a farm"
> To me, that means a collection of houses not associated with the farm
> being collectively given the name of that farm, so in effect, a hamlet
> has been named, say, Manor Farm.
>
> Is that a common occurrence? I know of no such in my locale.

I can think of a couple of places near me that might qualify at a real
stretch (http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/372460251 is one such) but the
vast majority are names blindly copied from OS OpenData StreetView**,
without any thought being given to whether the place is a "just a
farmyard" or "actually a place" (or even if it is a working farm at all
- many are historical names on OS OpenData, and are now just residential
properties).

Similar examples are "place=locality" and "place=isolated_dwelling" (for
a laugh try searching for those and seeing just how un-isolated some of
those are) - they seem to have gone from the OS OpenData to OSM via the
user's hands, keyboard and mouse without the user's brain being involved
in the process.

As I'm coming across these when out and about I'm tidying them up* where
there is a more appropriate tagging, but there are an awful lot still to
do.  I tend to use the fact that a large number of "place=farm" and
"place=isolated_dwelling" exist as an indicator that somewhere needs
visiting and mapping properly.

... and yes, I have tried suggesting to the biggest culprit locally that
"there's no way that that is a valid name", to no avail.

Cheers,

Andy

* see e.g. http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/53.2689/-0.8386

** many "names" on OS OpenData aren't names at all (for example, search
for "poultry houses" in OSM and you'll get lots of things "named"
that).  Where I live the OS has 5 village names for where I live; the
correct number is at most 2.