[Talk-GB] Users tagging Farmyard as place=farm (Was Summer quarterly project)

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 13 12:29:01 UTC 2016

Hi
Off on a slight tangent.

There's been an increase (world wide) in the use of place=farm. If you
fill out the boxes on this site you'll see: http://taghistory.raifer.tech/
Over 19k are in GB: http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org.uk/tags/place=farm

The reason for the increase could be it being displayed in the OSM carto
rendering
Just one example: http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4364588497

I believe many, if not all, are misinterpretations & should be
landuse=farmyard.
The wiki http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Farm says "a place named by
a name of a farm"
To me, that means a collection of houses not associated with the farm
being collectively given the name of that farm, so in effect, a hamlet
has been named, say, Manor Farm.

Is that a common occurrence? I know of no such in my locale.

Dave F.