[Talk-GB] Summer quarterly project

Ed Loach edloach at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 09:27:48 UTC 2016

Dan wrote:

> Town-centre blitzes can lead to out-of-date data very quickly. Town
> centre data is better to have in OSM if it has maintainer(s). Jerry
> acknowledged this, but I still would like to register a concern about
> that!

I'll agree that it is better to have a maintained set of data, but once it is mapped it is easier to maintain. Locally I added Clacton town centre and while I know there are some shops I currently need to resurvey I did do three the other lunchtime when I went to collect my new pair of glasses. With Vespucci on my phone I was just able to tap each building in turn to check whether it was correct or not, and if not update it there and then (a couple of instances where it needed more complicated editing I added a note and fixed those when I got back). It is the initial survey and mapping which takes the time.

But out-of-date data remains a problem - after all look how many Lloyds TSB's remain
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org.uk/search?q=Lloyds+TSB#values
and the Lloyds and TSB names split in September 2013.

Ed