[Talk-GB] Rendering national/regional walking trails

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 08:55:41 UTC 2017

On 22/04/2017 20:43, Elizabeth Oldham wrote:

> Anyway. I noticed on your maps you have multiple ldpnwn labels along
> the routes, like the Cumbria Way, and Coast to Coast. I've been unable
> to get more than one or two labels. I've been searching but it's
> usually the other way around - you have too many labels and need to
> space them out. Is there a trick I'm missing?

I may have got hold of completely the wrong end of the stick here, but
assuming I understand the question properly, I think you're asking how
two names appear for trails at e.g.
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=14&lat=53.14563&lon=-1.75507
?

What's happening is that at
https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/style.lua#L2320
a "highway=ldpnwn" tag is being added for each relation, and then at
https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/openstreetmap-carto-AJT/blob/master/roads.mss#L1705
the purple dots are added, and at
https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/openstreetmap-carto-AJT/blob/master/roads.mss#L3088
the text-spacing defines how far apart the labels go.

Because they are "just highways that happen to overlap each other" as
far as Mapnik is concerned, it makes sure that the names don't overlap
on the map.   I wrote a diary entry at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SomeoneElse/diary/38988 about it.

Best Regards,

Andy