[Talk-GB] Edits in Wales

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Aug 11 12:17:08 UTC 2017

On 11/08/17 11:44, Chris Jones wrote:
> For OSM that would mean translating the website/interface, providing a
> localised render (like cyosm did), and improving the name:cy coverage.
> It does not mean shoving both English and Welsh version in the same name
> tag to everybody's detriment.

As always others have put it better them me :)

My own 'view' on the translation side is that one should be able to
populate a table with :cy values for everything including the interface,
but defaulting to 'name' is not the optimal, so a :en value cleanly
identified is important. The interface is essentially :en and requires
each word translated to the alternate language, so a clean set of :en
values makes that consistent world wide, while the 'name' element lacks
any identification as to the languages used :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL