[Talk-GB] Edits in Wales

paul.bivand paul.bivand at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Aug 15 16:20:15 UTC 2017

Just seen. And may be relevant http://discoversociety.org/2017/08/02/policy-and-politics-revitalising-minority-languages-in-a-period-of-social-transformation/?utm_content=buffer386e1&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer.
Hides
Paul
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Adam Snape <adam.c.snape at gmail.com> Date: 15/08/2017  10:19  (GMT+00:00) To: Talk GB <talk-gb at openstreetmap.org> Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Edits in Wales
I'm not sure of Wiki-editing etiquette but I support the views expressed by Richard. The name tag should contain the primary name of an object, not multiple names. Swansea-Abertawe is no more the name of a place than Duddon Valley - Dunnerdale is. In the absence of knowledge of local usage, using the primary name on signage does seem the best option and is entirely consistent with how we map other names in the UK.
I sense a desire to give Welsh names equal billing with English ones wherever both exist. Others have mentioned how odd this would be in some areas where the Welsh name is rarely used by anybody. There are other areas where the Welsh name is the main name and the English (often merely Anglicised) name is now archaic. For example, Conwy is infinitely more common amongst English speakers than Conway. name=Conwy - Conway would be ridiculous. Similarly, to appropriate Miguel's earlier example, Ceredigion is preferred by speakers of both languages.
Regards,
Adam