[Talk-GB] Fwd: Re: Edits in Wales

Mike Evans mikee at saxicola.co.uk
Mon Aug 14 19:07:41 UTC 2017

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 16:31:08 +0100
Miguel Sevilla-Callejo <msevilla00 at gmail.com> wrote:

> El 14/8/2017 14:42, "Andy Townsend" <ajt1047 at gmail.com> escribió:
>
> Hi Miguel,
>
> A question.  Many places in Wales are predominantly Welsh- or predominantly
> English-speaking.  For somewhere like https://www.openstreetmap.org/
> node/3378387351 , if "name" was a compound of both the Welsh and English
> names rather than the more frequently / locally used version, how would I
> know what the preferred name actually was?
>

> Saludos
>
> Miguel
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Andy

I'm a Welsh mapper, born here, in an English speaking part of Wales, south Pembrokeshire.

I must admit that I hadn't even thought about the Welsh/English thing, since it never was an issue for me. I've always just mapped what was there.

As far as the dominance/superiority of English, we're (or at least I am, in my late 50's) used to it and pretty much ignore it. Personally I don't care. But I've also encountered some people in Aber who cared intensely. Let them; life is short.

I agree the WIKI is mostly a guide, (like the pirate) code). and I've often tried to reference it and sometimes been more confused after than before. Mostly, I've been informed though.

I map what I know, locally. I don't seagull (which is really annoying, as there's really no such thing as a "seagull" species, but I guess you knew that. Right?) map, or, Bing map, unless it's bloody obvious. (Re: Pokemon).

Anyway, that's my view as a Welsh mapper.

That said. People wanting to improve the map should be given all the help available and a confusing WIKI is of no help at all.

Feel free to contact me for other random thoughts.

Lostmike
Wales
Saludos

Being Welsh doesn't make me special. Or does it?...