[Talk-GB] Edits in Wales

Brian Prangle bprangle at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 17:58:13 UTC 2017

I think fixing the wiki at this stage is a bit premature as I wasn't aware
the discussion had finished with an agreed consensus. I admit it's
difficult with so  few contributors in Wales and so we may end up with the
revisionas it stands. I'm still perplexed as to how a mapper responds to a
dual language street sign when we're always encouraged to map "what's on
the ground"?  Does anyone know what the  policies of Welsh local
authorities, the Welsh Language Commisioner and the Ordance Survey are with
respect to mapping street names ?  I'm not even going near the discussion
about placenames

If it's any help I found these policies online:

Denbighshire

The policy in relation to new street names will therefore be to adopt
either a Welsh language name or a bilingual name that is consistent with
the local heritage and history of the area.

Existing street names that are in only one language will not be translated
except where a request is made to re-name the street as per the renaming
process in Section B.paragraph 4.(below)

Where a query arises over a place name, the council will consult the Welsh
Language Commissioner’s place name advisory service.

It is recognised that many databases can only hold one version of an
address. With bilingual addresses it is Royal Mail’s policy to only publish
the English version of addresses whilst holding the Welsh version in the
background

Merthyr Tydfil

The Council has a Bilingual Policy. This means that where a street has an
English name the street name plate is to have the English name at the top
and the Welsh translation underneath.

Where the street has a Welsh name or any other language other than English,
there is no translation

Newport Council

Since the Council has the right to decide on the names of new streets, it
recognisesthe importance of giving consideration to local opinion. The
policy in relation to new street names will therefore be to adopt
abilingual name that is consistent with thelocal heritage and history of
the area.

Following approval of the policy all new street names will be in English
and Welsh with each having equal status and neither having preference over
the other.

There will be no change to existing street names and these will remain in
the ‘known’ language to mitigate potential confusion.

Regards

Brian