[Talk-GB] Naming of places

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Thu Aug 17 15:25:31 UTC 2017

The thread recently about how places in Wales should be named has made
me wonder about the City of Hull. It is officially known as Kingston
upon Hull, but absolutely no one calls the place that. It is always
Hull. The signs that greet you say Hull, the city council call it Hull,
the council is called Hull City council. I don't think I've ever heard
anyone call the place Kingston upon Hull except in jest. When it was
announced as City of Culture 2017 it was announced as Hull. The
university is the University of Hull. The newly appointed Minster is
Hull minster, there is a Bishop of Hull, I could go on and on.

I'd like to replace the name=tag with Hull. I originally did have a Hull
as the name of the place but someone who lives outside of the UK changed
it to Kingston upon Hull and wouldn't accept that the place is really
Hull. I've left it like that for years, but I still think it's wrong.
That's why I want a discussion about it. Kingston upon Hull could go in
another tag (sunday_name=*).

Should we use the name that is the official, never-used name or the
real, on-the-ground name that everyone knows the place by? What do you
think.

--
cheers
Chris Hill (chillly)