[Talk-GB] Importing Website Data

Brian Prangle bprangle at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 13:56:33 UTC 2017

Eloquently put as ever Frederick. I share your lament about the seemingly
unattainable vision, which I happen to share. I would dearly love there to
be 10 times the number of consistently active mappers in the UK, but it
seems to be an order of magnitude more difficult ot persuade people to
maintain a map and "fill in the gaps" rather than build out a map from
scratch. I also share your  view of the increasing grip that large
corporations have on our social and political life, much to our detriment.

However we share a space with them and if they have data we can use then we
should use it: it won't be perfect but it's in the interests of
corporations for their customers and suppliers to be able to find their
locations so they'll be expending some effort to achieve a high quality (
and Tom I've seen inside enough large corporations not be naive about their
level of quality, but as Warin says some data is better than no data  as
long as we  validate it as much as we can.). Also the population at large
who might  use our map will want to find these large corporate outlets, so
we need to make the effort for them.

 I'm concerned that rate of change in the UK's High Streets with closures
of banks, pubs, chain stores,phone boxes and almagamations,takeovers,
brand-name changes will overwhelm us and degrade the reputation we have
laboured to establish. I've certainly lost the will to keep up with this
consistently.  I'm almost convinced by Frederick's argument that we
shouldn't map any of this, but just the base information of building outine
and address and building name where it is prominent, just as Ordnance
Survey does. In mapping this level of detail we seem to have made  a rod
for our own backs.

Regards

Brian