[Talk-GB] Importing Shell fuel stations

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Sat Dec 30 11:44:24 UTC 2017

On 29/12/2017 23:23, Mick Orridge wrote:

> The ONS postcode file (Open Government Licence other than BT postcodes
> for NI) for August 2017 (download here:-
> https://ons.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=1e4a246b91c34178a55aab047413f29b)
> holds terminated postcodes. It's entry for BD5 8JR shows a terminated
> date of 2009 06. I guess the replacement postcode could be narrowed down
> using the date introduced field along with perhaps the OA01 field (2001
> census output area) plus easting and northing.

That's a nice idea, but unfortunately it doesn't quite work :-)

The correct postcode according to PAF, BD6 1DA, was introduced in 1980
(the same year as BD5 8JR, as it happens), so there isn't a one to one
mapping of old to new - instead, properties formerly in BD5 8JR seem to
have been reassigned to other existing postcodes rather than to a new one.

Also, BD6 1DA isn't the nearest current postcode to BD5 8JR - there are
a couple of other BD5 xxx postcodes that are closer.

It's speculation, but my guess is that BD5 8JR was simply abolished and
all the properties in it reassigned to the BD6 postal area. Bear in mind
that it's not just a different postcode, but also a different district
(and therefore a different outbound code). Looking at the boundary maps
of the postcode districts, it looks as if Rooley Avenue and all the
roads immediately off it were moved from BD5 to BD6. So the change was
probably for operational reasons, quite possibly in response to new
development in the area that affected the pattern of mail delivery.

Going back to the previous point about using neighbouring properties as
a guide, the Shell filling station only has one neighbour (on the other
side it's right up against the junction). That neighbour is Pearls
Tearoom & Patisserie, which publishes its own postcode as BD6 1DA:

https://www.facebook.com/pearlstearoom/

Also, looking at the map, the tearoom shares an entrance and car park
with the filling station (it's a typical "cafe at a petrol station"
layout). Given that BD6 1DA isn't a single-user postcode, I think that's
sufficient observational evidence to assign it to the filling station as
well - unless the filling station itself had a single-user postcode
(which is unlikely), there's no other postcode it could plausibly be.

Personally, I'd be happy with that. Even though we know, from the PAF,
that BD6 1DA is correct, there's enough non-PAF evidence to support it.
If anyone feels like editing it, it would probably be worth adding a
note to say that the source of the postcode is extrapolated from a known
neighbour, just to be on the safe side. But that ought to be enough to
cover it.

Mark