[Talk-GB] Fwd: Re: Large swaths of "heath" in Wales?

Marco Boeringa marco at boeringa.demon.nl
Wed Feb 8 11:20:27 UTC 2017

Hi Brian,

Yes, I would especially second Jerry's good comments in the previous
discussion thread he started about sticking to a "strict" definition of
heath as being characterized by species of the Ericacea
(http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/natural-heath-td5888994.html). This is
also a quite common definition for heath on topographic maps in other
countries, e.g. here in the Netherlands where I live.

Marco

Op 8-2-2017 om 11:49 schreef Brian Prangle:
> Hi everyone
>
> Looks like a challenge.  We have discussed this before and there were
> lots of very thoughtful and knowledgeable opinions, but no decisions
> on any actions. I kind of got the consensus that many were
> uncomfortable with the spread of heathland landuse data but we never
> decided to do anything about it.  It would be great in my opinion if
> we moved on as a community and actually decided to act on our discussions.
>
> Regards
>
> Brian
>
> On 8 February 2017 at 10:37, Marco Boeringa <marco at boeringa.demon.nl
> <mailto:marco at boeringa.demon.nl>> wrote:
>
>     Hi David,
>
>     I know the opinions about the need to create multipolygons are as
>     diverse as there are political opinions. It was just one example
>     where these features cause issues. My main question is simply if
>     there are any plans or ideas by the British community of how to
>     deal with these features, or if there is any consensus whether
>     they are desired or not. If not, would the community oppose
>     someone else removing them?
>
>     Marco
>
>     On 07/02/17 19:19, Marco Boeringa wrote:
>     > Lastly, the lack of proper multipolygon creation, means that
>     other types
>     > of renderers and styles than Carto, and GIS's like QGIS and
>     ArcGIS, that
>     > do not stack features based on size but need multipolygons to
>     deal with
>     > polygon-within-polygon problems, have many older detailed features
>     > covered up by these new ones, as the original data may be hidden
>     beneath
>     > the newly added ones.
>
>     That' a problem with the renderers.  Multipolygons are difficult for
>     both (human) editors and (machine) renderers, so only be used where
>     strictly necessary.

>     	Virusvrij. www.avast.com

---