[Talk-GB] Traditional/Historic Counties

Adam Snape adam.c.snape at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 13:17:04 UTC 2017

Hi Paul,

Thanks, that's a good point. I wasn't planning on adding subdivisions such
as the Ridings (it opens the floodgates for the Sussex Rapes and the
Hundreds of other counties and I'm not sure how relevant they are to people
in the modern day). So, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, Yorkshire wouldn't be
problematic. Derbyshire, obviously would be.

Does Nominatim normally utilise relations with the boundary=historic
tag when deciding where a place node is situated? If so, I agree that's a
problem (and arguably a bug). It would be nice if somebody could search
for, say, Middlesex or Yorkshire and have the historic boundary pop up as a
result. Ideally it would also be able to recognise a search for something
like Bolton, Lancashire, but displaying the historic county in all searches
would be wrong.

Is anybody familiar with how Nominatim treats historic boundary relations?

Adam