[Talk-GB] OSM UK site

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 18:55:13 UTC 2017

Hi Richard,

The delay has been long to date (over a year I believe), but things should
move much quicker now. We could get something in for late February/March if
we act quickly.

As an aside, doing something tangible doesn't rely on the OSM UK company.
As noted it has taken over a year to get to that point, despite that we
(all those in the UK) have:

   - Ran quarterly projects on Schools, Healthcare, Farms and FHRS.
   - Seen the development of a number of tools to support these projects.
   - Mapped up and down the country.
   - Welcomed hundreds of new contributors.
   - Developed new styles and a static API (http://thunderforest.com)
   - Improved routing engines (http://cycle.travel/)
   - Produced maps for festivals (
   http://chris-osm.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/a-map-in-app.html)
   - Shared our stories via blogs (http://sk53-osm.blogspot.co.uk/ ,
   http://www.mappa-mercia.org/, http://blogs.openstreetmap.org/ and more)
   - Built on our relationship with Government and other organisations
   (e.g. http://www.mappa-mercia.org/2016/07/busy-days.html)
   - Attended global SotM and GIS events.
   - Continued to run numerous local mapping and meet-up events

And much more, including the amazing work many UK based folk do for the
global project, keeping the servers running, the blog active, and managing
data issues.

I'm aware of the "do-ocracy" but as above, I don't think OSM UK is needed
for these people (like yourself) who can take an idea and run with it. I'm
sure there are some great ideas out there from people who'd need support to
get them into reality. The OSM UK company can help to pair people with
ideas to people with the right skills to execute them.

If anyone is holding off from doing something just because the OSM UK
company is "coming", please don't. For one, you can make a great start
before OSM UK, but also there is no guarantee that OSM UK will work on your
specific idea.

*Rob*
p.s. Sorry for missing loads of great OSM contributions over the last year.
I should keep a record of these from now on!!