[Talk-GB] OSM UK site

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue Jan 3 19:29:28 UTC 2017

Rob Nickerson wrote:
> If anyone is holding off from doing something just because the OSM UK
> company is "coming", please don't. For one, you can make a great start
> before OSM UK, but also there is no guarantee that OSM UK will work
> on your specific idea.

The main issue is that there are a few things - not many, but a few - where
a formally constituted organisation is required. Lobbying is the main one -
I'm quite capable of writing rants in a truly do-ocratic fashion, but for a
Government consultation response, OSM-UK's voice will count for more than
that of J Random Nutcase, Charlbury. And, as you say, there will also be
cases where it's a matter of connecting people: for example, OSM-UK could
solve the map-in-UK-colours issue in a month by putting up a Kickstarter to
fund someone to develop it (openly-licensed, obviously), and with
crowdfunding there's nothing lost if it doesn't get funded.

Do you have an estimated date for when OSM-UK will be able to embark on its
first doing-something?

cheers
Richard