[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project Summer 2017 July-Sept

Stuart Reynolds stuart at travelinesoutheast.org.uk
Mon Jul 10 16:57:02 UTC 2017

Hi Ed ’n’ all.

Couple of points.

1. Yes, you can download NaPTAN from data.gov<http://data.gov> under OGL. What you need to know for rail station entrances is that while the rail station data is all together with codes formed 9100<TIPLOC> (e.g. 9100LHONSEA for Leigh-on-sea), the station entrances are all maintained locally and hence have local codes. For example, Leigh-on-sea has two entrances, 1580LHONSEA0 and 1580LHONSEA1. My offer was to provide all of those (essentially static) data in one place as a set of e.g. geoJSON features.

2. Yes, you can download traveline data under OGL as well, the TNDS. The standard (TransXChange, or TXC) is complex rather than nasty - it potentially covers a lot of bases. I have perhaps mentioned in the past that I am the standards support advisor for the DfT, so I am happy to provide advice on TXC if anyone wishes to direct mail me with questions. I also have a powerpoint presentation as an introduction to the standard if people would like to know more. But there is one point I want to stress, which is that the traveline data as downloadable only list stops - you cannot get route tracks out of it. So you can plot stop to stop, but there is no indication of routing. For SE, EM and EA I have access to data outside of TNDS which has (reasonable but not 100% accurate) track data in it. My offer was also to provide this as geoJSON. For ease I was going to keep it simple - this bus does these routes - without any attempt to determine whether it was every 5 minutes or once every other week. But for relations, this ought to be sufficient. I do need someone to mount them somewhere, though, so that they can be used for comparison with OSM. Rather selfishly, I would also like to take corrections back into my data set.

Regards,
Stuart Reynolds
for traveline south east & anglia