[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project Summer 2017 July-Sept

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 11:16:25 UTC 2017

I'd look to ask some of the people involved in the Transilien project in
France, perhaps Florian Lainez as he's an ex Mappa Mercian. Judging by
taginfo <http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/qk0> they use
railway=train_station_entrance (so much for British english in tags),
probably in conjunction with entrance=*.

SNCF even have an internal app called mapmygare for adding station details:
there is some hope that they may open-source it.

A couple of other points about station entrances:

   - (Obvious) accessibility info is useful
   - ticket barriers (presence or not) where these are close to or part of
   the entrance
   - opening hours for side entrances (& possibly for ticket barriers too,
   suburban stations often leave them open after staff have finished work)
   - presence of an intercom (e.g., on E-side of Horsham station) to get
   someone to let you through the barrier
   - public rights of way through stations (i.e., notional places on
   stations where you don't need a ticket). Paul Sladen defended the one
   <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/165120168> at Nottingham station. Here
   I think 'duck' tagging is the way to proceed, so entrances from the street
   should be tagged not tops of stairs from the PRoW.

Please also count steps on bridges/subways etc: typically they are 10, 12
or 16 treads to a flight. From personal experience the length a flight is
as important as the total number of steps: one can take a breather at the
end of each flight. So 24 steps in one run are a completely different
matter from 2 flights of 12.

Cheers,

Jerry

Jerry