[Talk-GB] Import Progress

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 22 09:24:20 UTC 2017

I've been roughly following this thread, and feel I should add some balance.

*As a director of OpenStreetMap UK,*
If you have a point/discussion to make on that organisation or the
collective of OSMers in the UK, please make another thread for it. Someone
said it's not a good way to treat a respected/dedicated member of the
community, and that may be right, in the same way some comments haven't
been a good way to treat a new member of the community who hasn't any
knowledge of import attitudes.

*As an individual,*
I've not been to West Midlands pub meetups but had heard on some list about
the NaPTAN update-import. I feel that a well-accepted import needs
slightly-less process followed before an update, but it's still good to do
some. As for the tree import, I've only heard in passing in chats. It would
be important for that to go through the full import guidelines.

Neil, thanks for offering a next steps suggestion to keep this moving on..,
> A (non-)apology that "other mappers' expectations haven't been met", and
some retrospective mailing list notification, etc. is probably the safest
way to go without opening the floodgates to future arbitrary imports.

I'm sure Brian understands the importance of keeping the community aware.
It's difficult because it's such a big community with so many mediums.
People who dislike the mailing lists are often good at informing the other
mediums, but that's no reason for mailing lists to be completely ignored,
especially as they can form a more permanent record of announcements. The
import mailing list tends to have less of the negative comments/arguments
people have come to associate with OSM mailing lists. I usually glance over
it very briefly as most imports don't geographically-concern or
subject-interest me.

Besides notification, shall we now focus on actual concerns/comments on the
imports taking place?

>From the North East,
Gregory.

On 21 March 2017 at 22:01, Neil Matthews <ndmatthews at plus.net> wrote:

> On 21/03/2017 11:20, Andy Allan wrote (more than this):
>
> I feel this is a politely phrased way of saying "we will continue to
>> ignore everyone and carry on what we're doing already".
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andy
>>

> My take from previous mails is that all you need to do to import data now
> is go to the pub and discuss it with local regularly active mappers.
> For some values of local/regular/active (possibly even at a county-wide
> level) this just might involve me mumbling to myself in the corner of my
> local -- and bingo I've met the requirements.
>
> I think it's a bad precedent to set.
>
> A (non-)apology that "other mappers' expectations haven't been met", and
> some retrospective mailing list notification, etc. is probably the safest
> way to go without opening the floodgates to future arbitrary imports.
>
> Cheers,
> Neil

Gregory
osm at livingwithdragons.com