[Talk-GB] Toys R Us

Brian Prangle bprangle at gmail.com
Mon May 7 19:27:23 UTC 2018

The answer to the question I posed originally seems to be either  "never"
or "immediately". Maplin I understand waiting some more time for the
liquidation process to complete. For clarity the mechanical edit would be
shop=vacant and previous_name=  whichever variant of the Toys R us name is
present; which preserves the shop amenity  with a change of use and
preserves the "landmark" data, which I hope answers some of the concerns
raised so far. Maintaining map data surely has to be a mix of automation
and hand-crafted, not a zealot position of one to the exclusion of the
other. If we know data to be inaccurate and there is an easy fix surely
we're bounden to users of our map to make it the best we can. If we adopt
Frederick's position(which I see, rightly or wrongly, as a quest for
ideological purity) we put community  before users, when I see it has to be
a balance between the two. What's the point of  building a map if we don't
make it as accurate and complete as possible,* as soon as possible*?
Otherwise it's in danger of becoming purely a thing of beauty hand-crafted
by dedicated hobbyists, with  no thought for all those who have decided to
use our map.

How long should we wait for a mapper to verify something that's changed?
Lloyds and TSB  banks demerged 5 years ago - yet we still have 180 branches
with the old name. Likewise the Territorial Army changed name 6 years ago
and we still have 27 instances of the old name. So how about  volunteers
for a campaign to contact local mappers and gently encourage them to update
the map?

Regards

Brian