[Talk-GB] TfL cycle data published

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 17:51:40 UTC 2019

Hi all,

The email below is from TfL announcing the release of the cycle data. I'm
copying in Martin to this email as he was working on this Talent Directory
project so can hopefully provide a comment on the licence.

Taking a look myself it is an OGL v2 licence which is good. TfL muddy the
water slightly in that they are applying the licence to data obtainable via
an API. They therefore include statements about it being the users
responsibility to check the page for updates to the licence and that by
running a new API call you are accepting the new licence. For us I think we
are fine in that we download the data once (rather than regularly via their
API) and the licence when you download it grants perpetual use.

OGL v2 can sometimes suffer from it's clause about not covering third party
rights the data provider is not entitled to provide (e.g. Royal Mail
Postcodes) but a previous (off list) chat with Martin suggested we are ok
on that front.

Clarification welcomed.
*Rob*

---

Dear all

Having engaged with yourself previously about the Cycling Infrastructure
Database (CID), we are delighted to let you know that the CID is now live.

London’s Cycling Infrastructure Database is the world’s largest and most
comprehensive database of cycling infrastructure, containing comprehensive
details of cycling infrastructure in the Capital. The CID is intended to
address barriers to cycling by providing Londoners with clear and accurate
information about cycling infrastructure, helping them plan cycle journeys
with confidence. The CID is a core part of our Cycling Action Plan
<http://content.tfl.gov.uk/cycling-action-plan.pdf>which sets out how TfL,
boroughs and others will work together to make London the world’s best big
city for cycling.

To create the database, TfL have surveyed every street in every London
borough to collect information on over 240,000 pieces of infrastructure,
covering an area of 1,595 square kilometres. The database also contains
480,000 photographs of cycling infrastructure, allowing users to see
exactly what can be found on street. For example, cycle parking users will
be able to see what type of parking is available. TfL collected data of
146,000 cycle parking spaces across London, as well as gathering
information on 2,000km of cycle routes and 58,000 wayfinding signs.

The following types of asset are included in the database:

   - Cycle lanes and tracks – including whether they are segregated or
   painted lanes
   - Cycle parking, including the type and capacity of parking
   - Signalised crossings for cycles
   - Restricted route - Modal filters and traffic gates which allow cycles
   to pass but restrict car traffic
   - Traffic calming, including the location of all speed humps in Greater
   London
   - Advanced stop lines – boxes at junctions for people cycling
   - Signals - early-release signals at junctions
   - Signage - Signed cycle routes and other wayfinding
   - Restricted Points – points where people cycling will have to dismount
   Paths through parks and other green spaces that can, and cannot, be cycled
   on.

The CID is accessible in geojson format via the following platforms:

*TfL Open Data Portal:* https://cycling.data.tfl.gov.uk/
(CycleInfrastructure/Data & CycleInfrastructure/Documentation)

*London Datastore:*
https://data.london.gov.uk/dataset/cycling-infrastructure-database?q=CID

The CID is continuously being maintained by TfL. Please do let us know if
you have any asset updates or data related queries.

https://www.intelligenttransport.com/transport-news/85603/worlds-largest-cycling-database/

Regards,

*TfL CID Team*