[Talk-GB] Disused or empty apartments

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 19 14:12:18 UTC 2019

On 19/12/2019 02:09, Warin wrote:
> On 19/12/19 13:01, Dave F via Talk-GB wrote:
>> On 19/12/2019 01:41, Andy Townsend wrote:
>>> Aside from this particular question, that's actually a problem that
>>> happens all the time with things like "amenity=pub; tourism=hotel" -
>
> I'd rather the mapper make a clear choice as they know what is there,
> the render makes a 'best guess'.
>

>> Not really. pub & hotel are synonymous but building=yes (which
>> indicates it's operational) is antonymous to disused:building
>

> Some pubs are not hotels - no accommodation.

I was referring to Andy's example where both tags are on the same object

> I have taken to mapping the building as a close way with building=*
> and then adding separate nodes for pub and another for the hotel if it
> has that.
> Note I am not consistent in this (but I should be)!

I have done similar, but never felt it an ideal situation. it ends up
with three detached objects representing one establishment. Where would
you add the FHRS:ID tag?

I try & do 'the duck test'. I ask 'what is it most known for' If it's a
pub, which happens to have a few rooms, then amenity=pub,
accommodation=yes, & alternatively tourism=hotel, bar=yes

Cheers
DaveF