[Talk-GB] GPS longboat positioning

BD dzidek23 at tlen.pl
Tue Feb 5 19:43:56 UTC 2019

Hi all,   please see below an email send to Anglia Linux User list. As this is more relevant to OSM forum I decided to paste it here.   Phil Thane    phil at pthane.co.uk   support.google.com przez  earth.li    Hello all,   As
 the N Wales and Wrexham recipients of this will know, I'm not a
developer, the Anglian recipients probably don't know me at all but I
moved here a couple of years ago. Over the last 15 years I've written a
lot about Linux and FOSS for various magazines and websites, but I'm no
expert, so bear with me.   Now I'm mostly retired
 I have a river/canal cruiser. Last year I did a single-handed trip of
about 10 days in each direction to a boat show. So that my family could
keep track I enabled 'find my phone' on my mobile and gave them the
login details. OK as far as it goes but not ideal obvs. I also  pthane.co.uk blogged  each day and then wrote it all up for a boat magazine. This year I plan
 a longer trip - to the Llangollen International Eisteddfod - about 3
weeks each way. I've sorted out WIFi and a laptop charger on the boat so
 I can blog better, now I'd like to improve the mapping. The ideal would
 be a map I can embed in a WP page on my website, that updates every few
 minutes as I travel. GPS from either my phone, or if really necessary a
 dedicated GPS device.   Does anyone know if such
 is already possible using OSM + plugins etc? I've had a quick look
online but most advice refers to Google maps. Most of the rest gets very
 technical very quickly. Goes over my head.   Plan
 B, is there a dev out there looking for a project? Unpaid and 'free'
naturally! Would it feasible to create something like FlightRadar' that
displayed boat positions on inland waterways? There is already  marinetraffic.com marinetraffic.com  for shipping, but that's way too big. I'm thinking of something boat
owners could subscribe to that was available online and capable of being
 embedded in a webpage.   --  Phil   Hopefully someone might have ideas, I'm interested myself as fair few other uses come to my mind.   Cheers,  Bart