[Talk-GB] Tagging post towns and other addressing issues in the UK

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 28 21:56:28 UTC 2019

On 2019-01-28 22:22, Chris Hill wrote:

> Post town do not exist, and never have. They are a fiction invented by Royal Mail for their own internal use which they persuaded the public into using for the sole benefit of Royal Mail.

...and for the benefit of anyone posting a letter and expecting it to
get delivered properly...

In the UK places (as opposed to admin areas) don't have well-defined
borders unfortunately. If you live in the "no-mans land" between two
villages there is in many cases no way of determining if you are in
Village A or Village B.

> Addresses are not maintained by RM, local authorities are responsible for addresses (which obviously don't include postal towns), except for the postcode. Most LAs have a system to request a new postcode from RM when a planning application gets approved that will need a new postcode.

The LA is certainly responsible for house names/numbers and street
names. Wouldn't all the rest (not just the post town) be down to RM?

> I don't see what purpose adding post towns to OSM would serve. The ONLY people who ever used it were Royal Mail as they were the only organisation to have a sorting office there. I'm sure RM don't need OSM to make deliveries, so who would we be benefiting by including this? To anyone else looking for an address the postal town is just confusing.

Are you saying is that there is no point in adding addresses to OSM?
Addresses are also useful for the senders of letters, or users of
navigation systems, so I think that might be a little controversial.

This document gives loads of examples to aid the interpretation of PAF
fields
https://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/docs/pdf/programmers_guide_edition_7_v5.pdf