[Talk-GB] Tagging a St John's Ambulance base

Ben Proctor ben at satorilab.org
Thu Jul 11 12:02:22 UTC 2019

Thanks both

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 at 21:53, Peter Neale via Talk-GB <
talk-gb at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> ...Or, looking at their website, it is a charity, so perhaps that makes it
> a "social facility"?
>
> Oh BTW, it is "St John Ambulance", not "St John's Ambulance" (I don't know
> why, but it is...)
>
> See St John Ambulance - the nation’s leading first aid charity
> <http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/default.aspx>
>
> St John Ambulance - the nation’s leading first aid charity
>
> First aid is a simple skill with an incredible impact. We want everyone to
> learn it, so that they can be the dif...
> <http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/default.aspx>
>
> Regards,
> Peter Neale
> t: 01908 309666
> m: 07968 341930
> skype: nealepb
>

> On Wednesday, 10 July 2019, 21:20:36 BST, Peter Neale via Talk-GB <
> talk-gb at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>

> Personally, I would have thought of it as a club, in which first aid is
> taught, as a hobby ( No offence intended to any St John volunteers)
>
> Peter
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>
> On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 at 20:30, Mark Goodge
> <mark at good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:
>

> On 10/07/2019 19:08, Ben Proctor wrote:
> > Hello mapping people
> >
> > There is a building and yard in Hereford used by St John's Ambulance.
> > The building functions as a meeting venue (like a scout hut but for St
> > John's) and some vehicles are stored in the yard.
> >
> > https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/52.06051/-2.71419
> >
> > How would you tag this?
> >
> > It's currently amenity=doctors which doesn't seem right.
> > emergency=ambulance_station doesn't seem to describe this use.
> >
> > I was heading down amenity=community_centre route but I'm not sure
> > that's right either.
> >
> > A quick search for St John's Ambulance reveals a wider range of
> > approaches in other areas.
>
> I'd be inclined to go for community centre, in this case. It isn't an
> emergency ambulance station, which is what the
> emergency=ambulance_station tag is for (and, in any case, is rapidly
> becoming obsolete with the new distributed means of organising an
> ambulance service), and it isn't a doctor or a clinic either. And the
> main purpose of the building (as opposed to the yard) is for things like
> first aid training (both for St John volunteers themselves and the wider
> community). So a community centre is probably closest.
>
> Mark
>
> Mark

Ben Proctor, Technical Director

*The Satori Lab*, 22 Windsor Place Cardiff. CF10 3BY Wales, UK

ben at satorilab.org | @likeaword <https://twitter.com/likeaword> | 07904 1234
98 | LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/likeaword/>

We help public servants with data, design and system change challenges